Thursday, July 31, 2008

I M UU, R U?: Seeking Healing for a Wounded Word

Old aching God, grey with endless care
calmly piercing evil's new disguises
glad of new surprises; wiser than despair;
hail and hosann, old aching God
-- Bring Many Names, Hymn 23, Singing the Living Tradition


I write this having just passed a quiet prayer vigil for the members,families, friends and loved ones of the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church (TVUUC). I sat as twilight was dimming into night, singing and reading from our hymnal, for comfort and hope, for compassion and healing; for those directly affected by this horrible tragedy, and for all the rest of us, too.

I am a Unitarian Universalist (UU). We are a small denomination; not particularly well-known to many Americans. And I would not presume to explain our faith in this posting. I encourage you to visit the Unitarian Universalist Association website at www.uua.org , via the link in the sidebar to the right.

I am a UU, and a Jew, so it's been a bit scary thnking that some people hate me simply because of these labels. And that some of these people could hate enough to kill, even here in American where we are each free to choose our own spiritual path-- or as I like to put it, the language or languages we use to speak to God.

And so, I've been afraid. But I've also been encouraged by the bravery of the congregation – especially, the gentleman who gave his life to protect others, and those who tackled and subdued the shooter. And I've chosen to wear UU jewelry and t-shirts as I mourn and condole with my kindred souls in Knoxville.

And I've grieved for the fallen, and those who mourn them; and especially for the children, who though unharmed, will surely need loving guidance and comfort overcome their trauma.

And I've wept a bit for the shooter, too; a man filled with anger and hate, who expected to be shot and killed by the police when they arrived on the scene. Apparently his plan was to keep on shooting until they shot and killed him.

But members of TVUUC tackled and subdued him until the police arrived. Yes, those he wanted to kill actually saved his life. Let us all hope and pray that he may one day be grateful for his unexpected rescue.

As I said to another member of my own UU congregation the day before the incident, sometimes UU's get miracles whether they believe in them or not.

And there were miracles. None of the children were injured, and only a few adults were shot. And of course, the brave actions mentioned above.

The shooter's reasons and motives don't really matter. Our angers and hatreds say more about our own fears and shortcomings then they do about the labels, or the blame, we put on others.

The violence is the hard, brutal, ugly side of the story; the part that gets our attention and all the headlines.

Good news is no news.

But, as the story unfolded early this week, and as I thought about all the facts as they were revealed, among the bitter fear, pain, and sorrow: I found a sweet wellspring of hope, courage, and love.

And I found yet another reason to be proud to be a UU.

I'll write more about UU-ism here.


Tonight, I'm sending my condolences and prayers to my fellow UU's in Knoxville.

And so I prayed for them; and for all of us, believers and non-believers. I prayed for hope and peace and healing in our fearful, wounded world.

May it be so. Amen.

No comments: