Sunday, May 22, 2005

Open Letter to US Senators: The Filibuster You Save May Be Your Own

Here's a copy of the letter I emailed to my Senators, asking them to vote against the "nuclear option" to eliminate the filibuster. I'm sharing it in case you need some ideas for your own letters. Just remember that a personal note will get a lot more attention that a copied or e-mailed mass mailing. And boy, do we need to get their attention this week!



Dear Senator:

I oppose the "nuclear option" to eliminate the filibuster that will be come up for a vote in the Senate this week.

The voice of each Senator is the voice of the many citizens he represents. Therefore, to eliminate the filibuster is to deny those American citizens their civil rights to free speech, and to dissent. And it is these sacred rights that have kept our country strong and free for over 200 years.

The Constitution, our national convenant, is a miraculously ingenious system of checks and balances; designed by our Founders to preserve our freedom and rights through whatever challenges future generations may face.

Please respect, and retain, those blessed checks and balances, by voting against this attempt to eliminate the filibuster.

Respectfully,
Your fellow Patriot,
Julie L. Ham


You can also state your case by signing MoveOn's petition. Just click on the green button link above and fill out the form.

I'm a big believer in the power of the individual American citizen. I know if seems as if Big Politics and Big Business have taken over the show. But we still have our most powerful weapon: the Vote.

So let us make the President and Congress hear our voices this week. And let us remind them that they are working for US. And that on next Election Day, we can very well choose to use a "nuclear option" of our own.

No comments: