Thursday, May 26, 2005

Half Empty or Half Full?

No green button link this evening. I'm not going to write much today. It's busy evening and I decided to send flowers to my mother instead.

She had a medical emergency last week. Everything's fine now. And we're all counting our blessings.

I sometimes think that American's don't count their blessings often enough. We grouse about not having the latest hot new gadget, a flashier car, or a svelte physique. We're impatient and eager to gulp our fast food and drive faster.

How often do we stop to say: "I'm pretty lucky. I have a roof over my head and enough food to eat. I'm reasonably healthy and I've got people who love me."

Sure we've all got our problems; but there are good things in our lives as well. And things could always be worse.

The President and the Conservative Republicans would certainly benfit from a little gratitude lesson. They've had a remarkable run of success in getting items on their wish list pass. But instead they're whining about how they are being discriminated against because they can't have everything they want. Count your blessings, folks! And remember the American people have their wish lists, too. The United States is supposed to be for all of us, not just those who happen to agree with you. Lighten up, celebrate your successes, and get to work on the real issues.

We live in a great country with a bright future, especially once we get past this ultra-partisan divisiveness. And history shows that we will get past this, it's the American way.

My favorite word is a Hebrew word I learned at a Passover Seder: Dayeinu. It is a word of thanks, that means it would have been enough; as in: It would have been enough that we won our freedom from the British Empire, but we also created a nation of libery and justice for all.
I cannot think of a more joyful word or concept.

We all need to take take from this hurry-hurry, gimmee-gimmee world, and consider all that we have both the material items and the less tangible, but more essential, gifts as well. Gratitude time takes away some the frustrations from those parts of our lives that we would be most grateful to do without. Without it, life is just one big GGRRRRRR!

I'm grateful that my mom's okay. I'm grateful that I live in a country where I can speak my own mind, and attend the church of my choice.

And I'm grateful that out of all the options on the Internet, you're reading this blog. I appreciate your time and your interest.

Dayeinu!

No comments: